• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Switching docs, need advice

R

random guy

I'm switching doctors and need some advice. Sorry for the long post. I like to be thorough.

For the past few months, I was scripted zaleplon #60 10mg. Instructions were to take 2 at bedtime. And that's what I did...but I have trouble sleeping through the night and end up having to take another cap (sometimes more) to fall back asleep most nights.

I got around around the dose limitation by refilling my script a few days early each time. (As often as my insurance company would allow.) Rite-aid was cool with this, but Walgreen's told me to screw off when I tried to get a refill at the 3.5 week mark. So I did.

Anyway, when I picked up my last refill (pharmacy called it in), the doc changed the dose to 1 at bedtime. That was 2 weeks ago and needless to say I'm out now. (side note: WD from this stuff isn't fun.) I picked up a refill for another med the same day and he cut the dose on that in half too.

Needless to say, I'm through with this guy. I'm seeing a new doc in a few days and hoping he'll give me refills for the right doses on the first visit.

The thing I'm wondering is, should I tell him that the old doc cut my dose in half without consulting me and that I took the old dose anyway? The general sentiment I've seen in some of the old threads on this subject is that disregarding the instructions on a script looks bad, but I feel like I'm in the right here.

Another thing, should I tell him how much I've really been taking and ask for a script for that amount? I run out of the stuff a few nights each month and I'd prefer getting refills once a month with enough pills to the way things are now. He'll probably ask how I've been taking 3 with a script for 2, should I tell him how often I get refills? Maybe I should just say I'm taking it as prescribed now and ask for a dose increase? He might want to talk to my old doc, so that might come out anyway.

While I'm on the subject of switching docs, there's one more thing that's bothering me. A few months ago I developed a weird condition that I'd rather not go in to. It happened after ~3 months on my current (well, until 2 weeks ago) regiment of meds, so I don't think it's a side-effect. I never told my old doc about it because I knew he'd freak out and use it as an excuse to take away some of my meds. (He said I was on too many as it was.) I'm planning on telling my new doc about it and asking for his opinion, but I'm afraid of what he'll think about my keeping it from my old doc.

Any advice would be appreciated.